PGH Wong Engineering, Inc. is a full service engineering and architecture consulting firm specializing in the implementation of large, complex infrastructure projects.
PGH Wong Engineering, Inc. (PGH Wong) has a proud history of creating innovation from challenging and complex projects. From our origin as a systems consulting firm founded in 1985 in San Francisco, California, PGH Wong is now a full service engineering and architecture consulting firm for public and private entities across the United States. Together, we strive to exceed client expectations and deliver exceptional project outcomes.
PGH WONG ENGINEERING, INC. “FIRSTs”
PGH Wong Engineering, Inc. and its Staff worked or are working on the following:
- First Modern Rapid Transit System in the USA – San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART) – 1971
- First Rapid Transit System in Sao Paulo, Brazil (Sao Paulo Metro) – 1972
- First Rapid Transit System in Atlanta, Georgia – Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) – 1973
- First Rapid Transit System in Caracas, Venezuela (Caracas de Metro) – 1975
- First Modern Light Rail Transit System in the USA – San Diego – 1977
- First Light Rail Transit System in St. Louis, MO – 1990
- First High-Speed Rail System in South Korea – 1991
- First Light Rail Transit System in Monterey, Mexico (Metrorrey) – 1992
- First Light Rail Transit Project in Salt Lake City – 1995 (Completed one year ahead of schedule in time for the Winter Olympic Games in 2002)
- First Transit Rail Project in Honolulu, Hawaii ($8.6 billion, 20-mile, 21-station system) – 2014
- First High-Speed Rail Project in the USA between Fresno and Madera, California ($77 billion Project from San Francisco to Los Angeles – 2014
- First Engineer of Record for the Peninsula Corridor Electrification Program (Caltrain) to electrify 50 miles of commuter rail with 25 kV catenary system between San Francisco and San Jose, California – 2016
- First Alternative to Conventional BART (eBART) – 2018
- First to launch “Engineers of the Future” – A workforce development program implemented under Valley Metro and PGH Wong for the South Central Light Rail Extension. This free mentorship program focuses on the development of 7th & 8th grade students in the disadvantaged area of South Central Phoenix, AZ to become Engineers – 2018.
- First innovative tunnel concept using single-bore technology for transit in the USA on the $5.6 billion, 6.5-mile, 4-station BART Silicon Valley Phase II Extension Project in San Jose – 2019
PGH Engineering, Inc. Founder, Chairman & CEO Peter Wong:
- First in his family to achieve Bachelor’s & Master’s Degrees in Engineering – 1970 & 1972
- First from Ba Town, Fiji (Population 2,000 in 1965), to achieve Bachelor’s & Master’s Degrees in Engineering
- First from Fiji to launch an Engineering Consulting Firm in the USA – 1985
PGH Wong Engineering Inc. and its Staff implemented the following:
- First Chopper-Controlled Vehicles in the World – BART – 1972
- First Modern Fare Collection System in the World – BART – 1972
- First Modern Train Control System in the World – BART – 1972
- First Prefabricated Traction Power Substations for Transit Operation in the World – San Diego – 1977. This has since become the standard for light rail transit systems in the World.
- First Dry-Type Rectifier-Transformers on rail transit systems – San Diego – 1977
- First in the USA to conduct comprehensive short-circuit tests along the trackway, San Diego – 1980. There were no data available to substantiate that the short-circuit calculations were full-proof.
- First use of Contactors instead of Circuit Breakers on Transit Systems, San Diego – 1982
- First Prefabricated Traction Power Substations for Heavy Rail Transit Operation in the USA – BART – 1985.
- First Low-Profile Catenary System. This concept has been adopted by other Engineers – 1986.
- First Thyristor-Controlled Traction Power Substations in the USA – manufactured, factory tested, installed, field tested, and commissioned – Dallas Area Rapid Transit System (DART) – 1992
- First Communications-Based Train Control System in the World – San Francisco International Airport (SFO) AirTrain – 1995
Dates shown are either when engineering commenced or when revenue commenced.